Sunday, November 11, 2012

Firecrest


I had planned to visit Conway RSPB reserve this weekend in the hope of seeing the starling roost.
By pure coincidence there was a flock of Waxwings at nearby Llandudno, a bird which I will always go out of my way to see (photos in the next post). Unfortunately, due to family commitments I couldn't stay long with the Waxwings so I drove to Conway RSPB for a coffee. After a delicious bowl of parsnip and apple soup, I was enjoying my coffee when my son, Adam, pointed out a bird in the bushes right outside the cafe window; it was a Firecrest!
Camera in hand, I shot out of the cafe and managed to grab a few shots of this beautiful, but elusive, sprite as it made its way along a small hedge. The bird then flew to the car park and I did not see it again all afternoon, but what a great sighting.
The starlings started to arrive at about 4pm in flocks varying in size from a few individuals to hundreds, but none were in the mood to perform their aerial ballet and they all dived straight into the reedbed to roost. But, nevertheless it was a great afternoon's birding.





You might also like:

Norfolk in October
Stoatally Amazing


No comments:

Post a Comment